It’s finally summertime, and during those hot days, we all want something easy, fresh, and light. So, today I present you with a refreshing apple cake recipe with poppy seeds.
This cake’s got everything. It has a light, airy, and super easy-to-make sponge with poppy seeds, cottage cheese & mascarpone layer to enrich and deepen the taste, and a fruity apple layer to make it absolutely delicious and earthy!
Why is it so refreshing? Above all these three different and delicious flavors we layer, the cake is refrigerated, making this dessert perfect for a hot summer day.
Everything here is very simple and quick to make, especially the sponge. If you are a beginner and afraid that it’s not going to work out, I can assure you it won’t happen with this recipe.
Fun fact (making sponge)
It is the most basic way to make a sponge but it still matters in what order you mix ingredients.
If you mix butter with sugar first, it will create a fluffy, airy texture and a thicker crumbly crust. If you deal with eggs and sugar first, the cake’s gonna be simply light. And if you mix butter, eggs, and sugar all at once, the sponge will be dense and heavy.
None of these methods are bad or wrong. Sometimes you need dense and heavy, and sometimes you need simply light. It depends a lot on the dessert you’re making. You have to experiment and choose.
It’s not the first time I write about butter cakes, so I highly recommend reading THIS article; you’re gonna get lots of information and an incredible recipe to make.
Refreshing apple cake recipe tips
- Use room temperature ingredients.
- Be patient with butter and sugar (Read THIS article). A cooler temperature is always better.
- Add eggs one by one, not all at once, if you want a light texture.
- And do not overmix flour. We don’t want to develop gluten.
More Cheffy Parsnip desserts:
- What is the French pastry?
- How to make soft Cinnamon rolls | Buttery and delicious
- Easy to make classic choux pastry + perfect Eclair recipe
- Cottage cheese apple pie | 30 minutes recipe
- Pain au Chocolat recipe |+How to make laminated dough
- Quick & easy banana bread recipe | No fail
- How to make French croissant recipe by hand | Classic
- Red Velvet cake from scratch | Valentine’s day recipe
Refreshing cake recipe with apples & poppyseeds
- 100g butter
- 90g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 50g flour
- 50g cornstarch
- 2 tbsp milk
- 50g grinded poppy seeds
- 1 lemon (juices and zest)
- 200g cottage cheese
- 150g mascarpone
- 25g sugar
- 300g apples, peeled & cut into 1cm cubes
- 25g sugar
- 3 tbsp apple juice (optional)
- 1/2 pack vanilla pudding powder
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- In a bowl, beat the butter with 2/3 sugar till the mixture is whitened, airy and fluffy.
- Separate egg whites and egg yolks. Set the whites aside in the fridge. Mix the yolks into the butter base one by one.
- Mix flour with cornstarch and add to the base.
- Whip the egg whites with left sugar and carefully fold into the mixture. Don’t put everything at once.
- In a small bowl, pour 3 tbsp of dough and mix with grinded poppy seeds.
- In a round cake pan with baking paper, pour mixture without poppy seeds, make it nicely flat and add chinks of poppy seeded dough on top.
- Bake the base for around 30 minutes or until it’s golden-brown and the toothpick comes out clean. Then let it cool down.
- Peel and cut apples into 1cm cubes. Place them in a pot, pour apple juice, half lemon juice, 25g sugar, and constantly stirring heat it for around 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla pudding, heat it constantly stirring until it thickens. Let it cool down. Give it a taste.
- In a bowl, mix cottage cheese, mascarpone, lemon zest, 1/2 lemon juice, and 25g sugar. Give it a taste.
Make the cake
- Wash the round cake pan you used, place the cake base in it. Then pour the layer of cheese & mascarpone and apple layer on top. Flatten the surface, and place cling film on top to have a nice, no-skin top.
- Refrigerate the cake for 3 hours and enjoy!